Username
Password
Remember me

Home | Sign Up for Free | Users with Recent Blog Entries | Recent Rambling Poker Forum | Entries with Recent Comments | *NEW* Online Poker Tournaments | Poker Resources | FAQ

Recent Rambling Poker Forum

This page will list the entries for users who are 'Just Rambling'. Most users are doing this to solicit feedback on their play or opinions on some aspect of poker (or whatever). Come here to find or start a lively discussion (or debate).

March 2008 Ramblings

Page: 1 - 2 - 3

From the Poker Blog for jaspinal

March 31, 2008, 7PM:
OPL Online Tourney

Just thought it would be cool to know who I am playing with in the OPL tournament on FT if you all want to add who you are.

Jaspinal = King Raj

Last Update: March 31, 2008, 7:20PM | Permalink (13 Comments)

From the Poker Blog for WhatsNew

March 31, 2008, 12PM:
Online Poker Tournaments

As requested OnlinePokerLog.com will now be hosting private online poker tournaments.

For upcoming online poker tournament information and password retrieval please visit our;

Online Poker Tournaments Page

For now, if you would like to suggest future events please send us an email or reply to this blog.

See you at the tables!

Last Update: March 31, 2008, 12:51PM | Permalink (0 Comments)

From the Poker Blog for EightFive

March 31, 2008, 12AM:
Thoughts on hand?

Blinds 40-80
Player A stack = 3450
PLayer B stack = 2000

Folds to player A in SB and he limps.  Player B makes it 240.  Player A raises to 720.  Player B shoves for 1280 more and Player A quickly calls with 22.  Player B had AJ.

How well does Player A play this pot? Only info I had as I watched this hand is that it is a big buy-in tourney and that Player B had not gotten out of line.

Who Player A is isn't important, but I am curious because Player A berated player B after the hand...and I thought the 22 was played a lot worse than Player B who was the aggressor on the all in.  Just curious.

Last Update: March 31, 2008, 12:04AM | Permalink (4 Comments)

March 27, 2008, 4PM:
Yet Another Re-Focus

Alright.  It's time to refocus.  Recently I have not been having the results that I hope to have.  Part of this is a function of putting in a smaller volume.  However, I have also lacked motivation, had a busy schedule of classes and homework, and yes, I have even been relatively unlucky (I've vented enough about this already).

But, no more excuses.  I still may struggle getting in the volume I would like to but it's time to get the train back on the track.

I have a new, refocused plan with several goals.  I think that as I try to stay aggressive on bubbles and in late stages of tournaments, I have gotten a little reckless/sloppy.  I don't think I have developed the right feel for these spots quite yet, but continued experience will help.  In the mean time, I just need to focus more in the stages leading up to the bubble so that I have more information on my opponents to help make better decisions.

Goals:

1) Take better notes on players through out the tournament.

2) Stick to $1 and $2 MTTs.  Both so that I can get a better grip on my game again, and because I have cashed out some funds and my online roll is a little smaller now.

3) Don't think about the money or my finish, just try to make the best play at every stage.

4) Make a couple final tables in the near future.  It's been a looong time.

Many of my goals are based on relatively simple aspects of the game, but I think that when you are struggling that is the best thing to get back to.

Last Update: March 27, 2008, 4:46PM | Permalink (0 Comments)

From the Poker Blog for berkeleyanders

March 26, 2008, 10PM:
How to handle yourself after hours of looking into the computer screen???

I typically just play live limit hold 'em but found several dollars on one of my online accounts. I won a seat to the sunday million on pokerstars and played in the tourney. I ran extremely well and played somewhere near my A game for just over 6 hours and then I decided to torque off all my chips with a below moderate hand. Just curious how other people handle themselves after extremely long periods of looking at the computer. I'm not used to the continual grind of such a long tourney.

Last Update: March 26, 2008, 11:02PM | Permalink (2 Comments)

March 24, 2008, 12PM:
Private OPL Tourney?

Just a suggestion...

I don't know what Deiyuo and the rest of the guys working on this site want for future users or growth, but I remembered that on Full Tilt (maybe other sites too?) there are tournaments under the "Private" tab that any user can create.  I found a post at FullTiltPoker.com describing how to do it:

"To set up a private tournament, simply send an e-mail to [email protected] with all of the following information regarding the tournament you want set up:

Tournament Name:

Tournament Date:

Tournament Time:

Game to be Played:

Buy-In and Entry Fee:

Password:

Expected Turnout:

That's everything, but here are a few other things to be sure to watch for:

The tournament's name can not exceed 25 characters.

The time you choose is clear (If you want a tournament at 4 PM, don't just write 4:00, write 16:00 SERVER TIME). All unlabeled time zones are interpreted as SERVER TIME, which is US ET.

The entry fee must be at least 10% of the buy-in.

The password must be all lower case letters without spaces.

If you want a tournament with something other than a nine player minimum, make that clear in your e-mail."

You can also advertise for the tournament in the forums.  If you make the tournament a private tourney rather than a public/open tourney you could make people come to OPL to find the password.  There are probably a few options you could play with to benefit the site most, but again, just thought this might be a cool idea if it is something you OPL elites would be interested in.  :)

Last Update: March 24, 2008, 12:57PM | Permalink (14 Comments)

March 21, 2008, 2PM:
Interesting Article from Pocketfives

I just went to Pocketfives for the first time in a few days and started reading this article.  I was surprised how specifically it seemed to address some of the questions raised in a recent post about math in poker.  I think one important thing that the article fails to address is whether to pass on a +EV situation when passing allows the player to wait for a MORE +EV situation down the line.  I think this is one part of live that can often be different than online because many times live MTT's have better structures where this can be implemented.  Anyways I read the article very quickly before posting so I haven't had time to think to much about it....enjoy.

One tendency that affects many people in all walks of life, especially in games that involve some element of chance, is minimizing risk instead of maximizing equity. This may be because people don't like to fail, or because the immediate impact of a failure can affect you more than the long-term impact of maximizing your success.

For those who seek to avoid failure, poker is not the game for you. A successful poker player must be willing to fail over and over and over again in the hopes of getting that one success that will pay for all of your failures. This isn't to say that you should make a bunch of stupid plays in the hope that one of them will eventually work. It IS to say that focusing on making the right decision every time, the one that will maximize your long-term equity, will be much better for you at the end of the month than trying to avoid failure. It's a difficult tendency to defeat, and it manifests itself in many places.

Let's move away from poker for a bit and look at sports. Let's say you're a football coach. You coach a major football team, a team in a city that has a ruthless media willing to turn against you at the slightest provocation. You have in your hand a detailed research report proving that teams would score more points and win more games throughout the season by being more aggressive on fourth downs and onside kicks. Early in the game you wind up with a 4th-and-2 at about midfield, and your report says go for it. However, think about the practical implications.

If you go for it and make it, you got a first down, one that will likely be forgotten in the aftermath of the touchdown you hopefully get at the end of the drive. If you go for it and miss, and go on to lose a close game, the media will blast you for making an unorthodox decision. It doesn't matter that if you ran the same situation 100 times, the clearly superior play is to go for it. What matters is that failing is more public and obvious than success, so football coaches choose to avoid failure to keep their jobs intact. While this type of thinking is less prevalent in baseball, it manifests itself in managers sacrifice bunting (a strategy that has repeatedly been proven to be -EV except in extreme circumstances), using their closer only in the 9th inning with a lead, and playing known mediocre veterans instead of promising rookies, all to avoid public failure and keep their job.

These strategies, while they may protect you from media bashing, are ultimately self-defeating. Luckily for you, you don't have a throng of hungry media vultures circling around you and scrutinizing your every move, waiting to swoop in for the kill. You only have yourself to answer to. The key is to train yourself to always maximize equity, even if it's going to lead to some immediate and perhaps embarrassing failures. If the button pushes and you're looking at 37o on the big blind with 2.5 to 1 odds, call.

I've seen far too many players fold their big blind getting excellent odds to close the action. It doesn't matter that you have to show everyone that you called with garbage like 37o. What matters is that you're easily getting 2.5 to 1 odds against his range, which is probably pretty close to any 2. Looking like a donk to the untrained eye can also have benefits. It causes others to underestimate you and maybe play worse against you.

Another spot where people will commonly look to avoid failure is on the bubble. Finishing one spot out of the money is an immediate and painful experience. You just played a whole tournament and got as close as you possibly could to making money and now you have nothing to show for it. But really, who cares? It's all one long game anyway, and if taking that risk and busting increased your chances of getting first by a big enough percentage, the play was correct and will pay off in the long run.

Train yourself not to worry about the bubble other than for how it affects other players. (The exception is in single-table sit and go’s, where bubble play is extremely important. In multi-table sit and go’s, playing for first is always the best strategy.) Remember, in a 5 table the difference between 1st and 2nd is 3.5 buyins, and the difference between bubbling and getting 7th is 1.3 buyins. In a 20 table the difference is even more striking. Don't worry about the visible failures; just remember that the long term is all that matters.

While bankroll management is a topic that deserves its own entire series of articles, I will delve into it briefly here. Avoiding failure can assume greater psychological importance when you are playing above your bankroll. Sometimes, if you're under-rolled, you simply cannot afford to go for first every time and must ensure some money finishes just to keep yourself in action. The folly of this approach only became evident to me after a couple of years of playing above my bankroll. If you don't have the bankroll to play optimally, play a lower game.

Others can exploit you ruthlessly if you have to play scared due to being under-rolled. It's far better to play a lower game that you're properly bankrolled for and therefore can play optimally than to play a higher game that you're under-rolled for and must constantly take that into consideration. On a similar note, even if you do have the bankroll to play a certain game, if that game "seems" very high to you then you might try to avoid failure to move up that prize ladder. Try to desensitize yourself to the money, and have yourself adequately bankrolled at all times - it helps a lot.

Think of it this way. Let's say someone offers you two bets, either of which you can take as many times as you want. In the first bet, you win $30 two times out of three, and lose $30 the third time, meaning your expectation on this bet is $10 each time you take it - enough to make you quite a bit in the long term. For the second bet, you lose $30 nine times out of ten, but win $400 the tenth time, for a positive expectation of $13 for each time you take the bet.

If you had a small bankroll, or were following the "football coach" risk-averse approach, you would opt for the first bet - a slow, steady accumulation of money, although not at the fastest rate. But you want to be the guy with a bankroll big enough to be slamming the second bet all day long. Even though you will fail far more often and have to deal with swings, you're making 25% more - a very significant difference over the long term. In real life, the difference won't be this clear-cut or as drastic. The point is that the higher-risk, higher-reward approach pays off, and that you want to be bankrolled to the point where you can actually afford to take this kind of approach.

While this mindset can be difficult to get into since we are winning and losing actual money here, it's essential for long-term success in poker, and even in other, less obvious pursuits. Make the best decisions you can, and let the results take care of themselves. Don't worry what others think. The only one whose opinion matters is your wallet at the end of each month.

Bryan “bparis” Paris is a poker instructor who has had success in high-stakes online tournaments - winning the PokerStars Nightly Hundred Grand and the Full Tilt $60k Guaranteed tournaments.  Those interested in receiving poker instruction can contact "bparis" by sending an email to [email protected].

Last Update: March 21, 2008, 2:26PM | Permalink (1 Comment)

From the Poker Blog for darylsuds

March 21, 2008, 3AM:
Whats on my mind 3

So, the last chapter of whats on my mind would like to talk about something I saw on TV tonight.

I was watching poker after dark and I ran into a situation where Jamie Gold (Donk) was up against Chan.  He had KQ suited and Chan had wired 10's.  Jamie professed that his pot odds were 2 to 1 and that would make him the favorite in the hand if it was a coin toss. 

What poker players don't realize is that pot odds don't dictate a good or bad call.  So many novice player over think this situation and will make the call because of one variable.  But, yet you must take in consideration if you are the caller or the raiser, and if you are in the money or not.  Is it a short tournament, a long one...a cash game for all the money?

PEOPLE...poker is not just about the numbers, it is about timing and the ability to read a situation without using number as the number one variable. 

I understand that numbers are a crucial part of of the game, but not the most important part. 

Don't forget what you are playing for and that sometimes the stats are not as important as going in with the best hand.

Be smart...play well....win money!

Peace!!!!

Darylsuds

Last Update: March 21, 2008, 12:46PM | Permalink (7 Comments)

March 21, 2008, 3AM:
Whats on my mind 2

I am one of the original users of this site.  I have been lucky enough to use this as a wonderful tool to improve my game and get insight on the game of poker.  I have been in the business for over 13 years and still find new things that make my game better.

I am really disappointed at some of the posts as of late.  Do you really want to remember the bad beat stories that made you less money, or do you want to remember how you can improve your game.  I was really disgusted what I read a recent post that made really good money, but his whole post was about the beats he took.

I know I have been a culprit with this and have vented from time to time.  But, this is a tool to make you a better player and to better understand the game.  This is not a site to tell your so-called bad beat stories so people will feel sorry for you. 

Let's start talking about good strategy and focus on what can make us better.  Everyone has taken so many beats over the course of there poker life, and all the stories are the same.  Let's make this site a learning experience, rather than a "let's talk about our bad beats" site!

Peace and love,

Darylsuds

Last Update: March 21, 2008, 3:10AM | Permalink (12 Comments)

March 21, 2008, 2AM:
Whats on my mind 1

This is a three part series of poker stuff that has been on my mind lately.  The first part is the lighter side of poker.  I recently came across one of the funniest things I have seen a a poker dealer/player in a long time.  I will share with you all, and I hope that this thread will continue with good, funny stories....NO BAD BEATS ALLOWED!

Any off the wall story about something you have seen at the poker table is welcome. 

The lighter side of poker....for all to enjoy!!!!

Darylsuds

Last Update: March 21, 2008, 3:19AM | Permalink (3 Comments)

Page: 1 - 2 - 3

ARCHIVE

Most Recent
January 2010 (1)
November 2009 (3)
October 2009 (1)
August 2009 (2)
July 2009 (11)
June 2009 (8)
May 2009 (5)
April 2009 (2)
March 2009 (2)
February 2009 (1)
January 2009 (2)
December 2008 (4)
November 2008 (3)
October 2008 (2)
September 2008 (4)
August 2008 (4)
July 2008 (9)
June 2008 (6)
May 2008 (11)
April 2008 (13)
March 2008 (24)
February 2008 (17)
January 2008 (13)
December 2007 (3)
November 2007 (11)
October 2007 (9)
September 2007 (2)
August 2007 (11)
July 2007 (19)
June 2007 (10)
May 2007 (11)
April 2007 (11)
March 2007 (7)
February 2007 (15)
January 2007 (15)
December 2006 (2)
November 2006 (4)
October 2006 (5)
September 2006 (1)
August 2006 (7)
July 2006 (13)
June 2006 (4)
May 2006 (13)
April 2006 (8)
March 2006 (24)
February 2006 (12)
January 2006 (9)
December 2005 (7)
November 2005 (2)
October 2005 (1)
July 2005 (1)
August 2004 (1)
January 2003 (1)
August 1996 (1)

Have suggestions to improve this site?

Check out some other Deiyuo websites.
World Poker Solutions - Poker Cruise Vacations and Tournaments

© 2010 OnlinePokerLog.com. All rights reserved.